This is What a Feminist Sounds Like
July 3, 2012 § Leave a comment
For those of you just stumbling upon this, my name is Kate and I’m a feminist. Stick around if you’re interested in discussing sex/gender, the media, pop or the wider soda-less variety of culture (I spent my childhood summers in North Dakota, that’s a Midwest joke), politics, social change, or anything else on your mind. I also have big plans to share pictures that make me smile. The latest is this gravity-defying goat:
Because how else are we going to shift the dominant paradigm of society, if not through the sharing of goat pictures? Seriously.
So. This rest of this is going to be short and sweet – why is it important to me to identify as a feminist?
I’m a feminist because…
- I believe men and women – and people for whom those labels do not fit – are equal. That’s pretty much the heart of it. There’s a really interesting discussion going on right now over at Feministe about what equality would look like.
- women are systematically disenfranchised in a variety of ways, and that isn’t going to change unless we talk about it and work to change it.
- I believe in the rights of marginalized groups in our society.
- accepted gender norms influence so many aspects of our lives and do not make sense in so many ways…why did the colors of the toy a girl happens to be playing with in this adorable ad change into this?
- the top Google autofill suggestions after “why feminism” are “is wrong,” “is stupid,” and “is bad” (I was going for “is important to me“). Ugh.
- power works to maintain the status quo, and feminism works to transform systems that won’t change themselves. I’mma explore that further, and I’d love to hear your thoughts.